Try a Mod Podge Transfer!

I couldn't believe it! I tried every liquid and glue in my home mixed with every type of paper in my studio, and nothing was working. I was experimenting with transfers. Then one amazing combination worked!

An ink jet print on glossy photo paper + cotton cloth + Mod Podge (gloss)

First I printed a small picture in dark colors on my HP ink jet printer onto Burlington glossy photo paper. (I also tried Kodak glossy photo paper and it worked too.) Then I spread a thin layer of Mod Podge on a piece of cotton cloth using the side of a plastic card (my old library card.) Be sure to make the Mod Podge area larger than the picture you plan to transfer. Lay the picture glossy side down onto the Mod Podge. Gently press it into the Mod Podge. No need to rub hard or burnish.

Here's the important part. Do not walk away or let it dry. Stay right there and press the picture gently into the Mod Podge again. You will see immediately that a dark edge will appear around the picture. (see my photo below.) This tells you the transfer is beginning.

In about 30 - 45 seconds, lift the corner of the picture to see if the transfer is starting. The film of color on the photo paper will loosen and come off onto the cloth in one single piece of film-like transfer, so you want to be careful to loosen all four corners. Then gently lift off the photo paper and the transfer is complete. On one transfer I actually slide the paper off to the side without disturbing the transfer.
You can see the reverse of the dancer on the photo paper to the left of the transfer above. The transfer will appear to sit on top of the fabric, rather than be down in the fabric fibers. After you let your transfer dry, it will be different from any other type of transfer. It may have tiny wrinkles or imperfectons, or appear glossy. If you want a more matte look, carefully brush on a layer of matte gel.
These four little photos are Mod Podge transfers too. You can see the wrinkles in some of them. The clown is one of the first Mod Podge transfers I made. Don't be afraid to experiment!
Have Fun!!
MidwestieLady
Linda B.

16 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you have found your transfer method! Looks great and you have made it so easy to understand. Who'd a thought? Mod Podge. I love the bright colors that you got. Thank you so much Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, I am so gonna try this! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yayyyyy, now I know what I can do with the 1/2 jar of Modge Podge sitting on my self. They are exceptionally clear and complete, Linda! Great and thanks for sharing the technique!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some gloss Mod Podge sitting around taking up space, too! I'm not crazy about using it as a sealer, but this sounds like a promising use for it! Thanks for sharing!
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like fun! Definately going to try this!
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey!..this may actually work for me!! I'm going to try this one for sure!!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome! can't wait to try it. It really looks like an old style polaroid transfer - very cool

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh fantastic! I have Modge Podge! I can do this! Thank you....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great info ... I will have to try this ... thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I swear, I MUST try these transfers, what the heck is wrong with me.....
    Lovely!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You ROCK! I am going to try this and post in on my site www.littleblackdogstudio.com -- with credit, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found this and I have to try this! Quick question this is NOT washable, correct?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard that there is a question about the fabric being washable after a Mod Podge transfer. Sorry to say that it would not be washable after a Mod Podge transfer on Fabric.
    Linda
    MidwestieLady

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried this with an image printed on Canon photo paper and absolutely nothing happened.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I must try this. I have often wondered how people do this. Thansk so much!!!

    ReplyDelete